Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 2nd: Educate Us

Day 2:
Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at.

I wouldn't necessarily say I know a lot about this, but it's hard to be bad at and I've been meaning to do a blog post about it for months, so here we go.

A few months ago I decided to make a few freezer meals for nights when slaving over the stove just didn't seem like fun.
Let me tell you, it was so incredibly easy.


I found three recipes:
Chicken Cacciatore
Black Bean Taco Soup
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo

You can find all three recipes here

The most time-intensive part was chopping up the ingredients for the chicken caccitore and cooking the ground beef for the black bean taco soup.
In total, it took me 45 minutes to assemble everything and clean up.
Fifteen minutes per meal?! Can't argue with that!

I apologize in advance for my photos.
I'm definitely no aspiring food photographer :)













So here are my reviews after trying all of them.

Black Bean Taco Soup:
This turned out great. I really liked the consistency of the soup and how easy it was. My only complaint with this was that I felt it needed to be a little spicier. I shared this one with my parents and they both liked it quite a bit and I seemed to be the only one who would have preferred a little spice :)
This is definitely one I'll make again with a few modifications.

Chicken cacciatore:
SO delicious. The first night I had it I just cut one of the chicken breasts in half and had it over angel hair pasta (which I prefer to spaghetti) but the chicken was so tender that I decided to shred it for leftovers the next night. My advice... definitely shred it before you serve it! It was so much better shredded and it was easier to eat if you're weird like me and something about a whole chicken breast on top of pasta bothers you :) I shared this one with my roommate and neither of us could get enough of it. It was definitely my favorite of the three freezer meals and one I'll make multiple times in the future.

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo:
Alright, here's the deal. This one was a partial fail. It took forever for the chicken to cook through, which I could have remedied by cutting the chicken breasts into strips before freezing it. The other problem with this one was that it was way too soupy. After dishing it up and letting it sit for a few minutes it started to thicken, but it was still pretty soupy.
This is the only one that I wasn't crazy about and won't make again, but it was okay for one time.

In the end this was definitely something I plan to do many times again in the future with new recipes and those first two that turned out fabulous :)



1 comment:

orneryswife said...

When my kids were still at home I used to cook many meals ahead. My son was especially fond of bean burritos, so I made them up two dozen at a time, individually wrapped each one and stored in the freezer. He could take out one or two and heat them up and I didn't have to do anything for that meal. My husband loves soup, and I bought a couple dozen glass pyrex 2 cup containers to freeze it in. A big pot makes a lot of meals! Freezer meals are a great idea!
tm



blogger template by lovebird