Saturday, May 18, 2013

May 18: Memory

Day 18: Tell a story from you childhood.

Once upon a time my parents went to Hawaii and left my sisters and I behind at my grandparents house. My grandma had a tradition with her grandchildren of sitting on their front porch swing and swinging and singing songs from the Children's Songbook. She would always bring a little boom box, the songbook, and occasionally a few snacks outside.
While my sisters and I were staying at their home some of our cousins came to join us for a little bit. While we were all they, my grandparents shared the bad news...
My grandpa was to redo the front porch to put in the beautiful wooden deck that they now have. This meant that they had to get rid of the swing.

My cousins and I were so upset by this news that we got together and schemed about how we could stop this tragedy from occurring.
So, we put my grandparents on trial.
We had a judge, attorneys, and a jury.
We began the trial by making a picket sign which said, "No swing, no sing!"
We marched upstairs chanting, "No swing, no sing!" until we gathered up my grandparents and held them on trial.

I remember my poor grandmother being so amused but so upset that we were threatening her precious singing time with us kids if grandpa got rid of the swing.
I don't remember much more than that, but in the end my grandpa got rid of the swing and my cousins and I actually boycotted singing for some time.

My grandma still has that little piece of paper we taped to a wooden stick that reads, "No swing, no sing!" She has it in her scrapbook.

To this day my grandma still talks about how our little trial broke her heart.
We eventually gave in and started singing with her again :)

I love my grandparents!

2 comments:

Alanna said...

It was just you and Jen that were there. I stayed at a friends house in MN. They went to Hawaii over my 16th birthday. ;)

Melissa said...

Well, I stand corrected :) Goes to show how young I was!



blogger template by lovebird