Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My Month in Europe - Ireland Day 2

This was the day I got to see the Ireland I always dreamed of seeing!
We ventured outside of Dublin to the Irish countryside and I immediately fell in love!

Rolling green hills, fog, and sheep!

We started our day off by spending a few hours at the Powerscourt Estate and Gardens.
This was rated the third best gardens in the world by National Geographic.
I was super excited to see it because we would be seeing number one, Versailles, just a couple weeks later!






I should probably stop and apologize right now for the lack of pictures I will have from here on out.
I really focused this entire trip on being in the moment rather than worrying about ISO, f-stop, and whether or not I was able to capture something exactly as I was seeing it.
I used my DSLR only a handful of days I spent in Europe, the rest were taken with my iPhone, and I definitely do not regret it.
While the memories might fade faster than pictures, I am truly happy that I spent those photographic moments etching them in my mind and truly being in it.

Now, let's carry on :)

After Powerscourt, we took a very scenic drive through the countryside to get to the Glendalough Monastic Settlement in Wicklow.
This settlement was founded by St. Kevin in the 6th century!




This was some seriously historic stuff we were seeing!

After Glendalough we headed back to Dublin where we finally got to see the inside of St. Stephen's Cathedral.
I was a little disappointed because there were students from Catholic schools there doing some sort of program, so for me it kind of ruined the atmosphere a bit.
Overall though, this place was stunning!



The rest of the day went as follows...

Dublin Castle - The Chapel Royal


We then walked around the corner from this castle and stumbled on a TV set!
I asked one of the crew members what show they were filming and they said Penny Dreadful.
Turns out, my dad loves this show!

I immediately asked if Josh Hartnett was there filming, but he unfortunately didn't fly in for a couple days to start filming his scenes.
Too bad ;)



Our next mission was to find the famous Temple Bar!



 This place was so much fun with the live music!
We wanted to stay and eat here, but one of the locals caught me looking at a menu and advised us otherwise.
I still think he just didn't want a bunch of tourists in there :)

So we headed off to find a famous fish and chips place called Leo Burdocks which was pretty good!

We wanted to find some live traditional music and a place called O'Donohughes had been suggested, but once we got there and walked through we quickly learned that there wasn't any live music, and there was only one woman in the entire place.
I'll let you make your own conclusions on that place!

We stopped to ask a few dapper looking men if they had any places they could suggest, so they walked us back towards Grafton street all the while trying to convince us to go out dancing and drinking with them.
They were a ton of fun, but we obviously declined :)
After a few attempts at finding some live music most of us girls settled for gelato and an early night in, still suffering from jet lag. 

It was such a fun day, and I loved being able to spend some time in the countryside.
I would definitely travel back to Ireland to experience more of those gorgeous green rolling hills.


No comments: