Saturday, September 1, 2012

Daddy-Daughter Vacation, Day One

So my dad and I set off on our somewhat spontaneous go-where-the-wind-blows vacation.

Originally I wasn't thinking I'd be able to take a week off of work to do it, but then I decided I'd regret it if I didn't.

First off we planned for WAY too much, which my dad realized a few days after talking. We were going to do Southern Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico, but we wanted to get back to Provo for BYU's Thursday night kick off game against WSU so we cut the trip short.

We didn't plan for anything specific except to make it down to the Grand Canyon and then head back up. We didn't make camping reservations or anything, and it was definitely an adventure.
An adventure I'll remember for the rest of my life.

We left Saturday morning and headed down to Arches National Park.
My dad loves to take the road less traveled, which meant we didn't head into Moab to get into Arches.
Instead we off-roaded our way in the back side. 
We took a jeep trail road which was quite an adventure. It was rated a three, but we learned better pretty quick.
We ended up high-centering the truck at one point. The adrenaline was definitely pumping.

On our way into Arches on the jeep trail we saw dinosaur tracks!


That track is bigger than the size of my foot! 
Pretty sweet, if you ask me.

Once we got into Arches we got a campground in Devil's Garden.
It was such a cool campground surrounded by all sorts of different formations.
We even had our own little private cave and some area behind the campground to explore!

After getting settled and having dinner we set off to do a hike to Landscape Arch.
Here's what we saw along the way:





And finally, Landscape Arch below.
I apologize, the lighting was absolutely awful and I was shooting right into the sun, but you get the idea!



It was a great kick-off to the trip.
Amazingly enough, this was probably the least busy day of them all :)


No comments:



blogger template by lovebird