Monday, June 6, 2011

Life Is Like a Box of Chocolates

I've spent this entire semester stressing over what major I was finally going to decide on. After countless phone calls to my parents (some of them in tears), I decided to just let it go. The answer will come when it needs to come and it's not something to stress over. So what if it takes me five years to get a degree. How long it takes doesn't even matter. 
That worked for a week, maybe two. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't avoid thinking and stressing about it - but not just which major to choose - it was whether there even was a choice to be made.

You never know what you're going to get in life, and sometimes what's best may be exactly what you've been resisting all along.

In high school, music was my life. I was a great student but my day revolved around the three hours that I spent in the choir room. I loved it, adored it, yet I had decided music would not be the path I would take in college unless as a minor. 
Life as a music major is hard. It's a challenge. You're constantly having to prove yourself. I'm not competitive, so it just didn't match up. 
It didn't match up until I realized that music is what I do best. Music is my passion. I would be foolish to think music wasn't what I needed to do.

Don't ask me exactly what I'm going to go into, though I think I've narrowed it down to Music Therapy or just a general Music degree. I have some talking with an academic adviser to do and inevitably some more research and stressing left to do. 
This choice may bring more changes than expected, like having to transfer to Utah State University to get a degree in Music Therapy, but I'm prepared for whatever may come my way.

I realize life as a music major will be hard. I'm going to be busier than I've ever been and in the end four people may determine that I can't continue along in the program.

For now, I don't care. It's what I love and it's what I'm going to do.

No comments: