Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy Birthday!

(My parents and I on our way up to Grand Targhee earlier this summer)

Well, today is the big day for my dad... it's his 50th birthday! You'd never guess it, right?

My dad has always been one of my greatest examples of selflessness. I can't recall one year where he didn't say, "Don't get me anything for my birthday, get something for yourself instead." Of course, I always got him something anyway, but that's always been deeply ingrained in my mind.

My dad has always been one of my greatest examples of hard work. I remember living in Chicago when he was re-doing our entire backyard. He spent countless hours after work and all day on Saturday in the backyard working tirelessly to get it done.

My dad has always been one of my greatest examples of unconditional love. Though the past few years have been hard due to circumstances out of our control, he always made sure that my needs were met before his. I feel fortunate to have been born into a family where there's never been a doubt in my mind that I am loved.

One of my favorite things about my dad is that he always knows what to say to inspire me to do better. He once told me, "Listening to your heart means no later regrets. People recognize heartfelt authenticity." That's a lesson I'll never forget.

Since I've been at college he's constantly been telling me to relax, to stop stressing and just to have fun. If you know me, then you know I need that constant reminder.

My dad is always there when I need him. I can call about the most ridiculous things, like my low tire pressure light being on in my car and having him talk me through what to do (even when it's as simple as driving a mile to the autoshop to have them check it...). He's always there to help.

I know I don't say it enough, but I'm so thankful for his constant reminders to "drive safe", "make sure you're eating well" and "take it slow when you're driving in the snow."

No matter the time of day or night, I know that I can call and he'll be there to answer.

I think it's safe to say that my dad is the greatest.

Happy 50th Birthday dad :)


1 comment:

Alanna said...

Awww! I second that entire post! I agree our Dad is the greatest Dad in the world!! :)