Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

"Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love."
- President Thomas S. Monson

Growing up has it's perks. One of which is gaining an understanding of the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

This year I've been very thankful for my family. My grandpa's been going through a lot of health problems, and it's really opened my eyes to how grateful and appreciative I need to be of all of my relatives.

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family in Salt Lake. It was great to see all of them.
My cousin Josh leaves for his mission in just a little over a month, but this was the last time I'll see him before he leaves.

It was also great to spend time at my grandparent's house with them today.
I looked through my grandma's millions of scrapbooks (which I love) and just enjoyed their company. I realize that these visits are beginning to be numbered and I soak it up every time.

In addition to my family, I'm incredibly grateful for the Gospel in my life. Because of it I know that I'll be able to be with my family for time and all eternity. There's nothing that could make me more grateful than that.

"My sincere, heartfelt prayer is that we may in our individual lives reflect that marvelous virtue of gratitude. May it permeate our very souls, now and evermore."
-President Thomas S. Monson

At church on Sunday a man gave a talk about a guy he knew that said he had nothing to be thankful for. After minutes of prodding and thinking, he finally decided he was thankful for his wife, but nothing else.
It's sad that that's such a commonplace mentality these days.
If you just take pause and look around, there are so many things to be grateful for. More than we realize.

I urge you all you read an incredible talk found here.
It puts all of the above into words better than I ever could.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That is very nice sweetheart... we love you and miss you! See you soon for Christmas... Love Mom