Thursday, July 31, 2014

That one time I graduated college...

My graduation day was truly fantastic in every way.
We started off the morning with a breakfast in the park, provided by my amazing mother.
We had a dutch oven breakfast, which we call "mountain man" in our family, as well as delicious fruit and homemade banana and pumpkin bread. 
Yeah, my mom is fantastic.

Then I spent a good part of the day packing up my apartment and running errands.
After a quick nap, it was time to get all dolled up for the big night!

I'll provide pictures in chronological order :)

These are some of my fellow Child Development graduates!


Commencement was so good!
It felt so surreal to be sitting in the I-center for the last time in a long time.
I had the privilege of singing at the dedication of that incredible building nearly four years ago, and now I was sitting there listening to President Clark and others give me advice for the future.
I loved every minute of it!




After Commencement we went outside to have a little photo shoot, courtesy of my sister Jen :)


All four of my grandparents were there! It was such an incredible blessing that they were all healthy and able to attend and be a part of such an important day in my life!


My sisters (plus Caroline)!
I love those women and look up to them both so much!


The original five!
I love this family of mine :)





From there we had to speed up to the Hinckley building where the convocation for my college was held.
I quickly freshened up my lipstick and got up on the stand because I was honored to be asked to speak at my convocation!


That meant my family had VIP seating ;)

I loved every minute of the convocation program as well, almost more than commencement! 
Then it was finally time to walk across stage and receive my diploma (or rather, my diploma cover).







All of the family!

  


My parents finally got to meet my favorite professor and best boss ever!
I learned so much from Brother Rarick and was fortunate enough to be able to TA (teacher's assistant) for him for a year as well! Mackenzie was a TA with me :)

After all of the festivities were over, we were starved.
My grandparents all left to head back to the hotel and my nieces and nephews were all safely tucked in bed and being watched by babysitters, so we took advantage and went out to a quick dinner!
I realized that this was the first time we had all been together, just the five of us, no husbands or kids (with the exception of little Caroline), in nearly a decade! 
We had the best time talking and laughing.

My dad recognized the novelty of the situation and snapped a picture of his four leading ladies.
Even a fellow dad passing by commented that he was one lucky man!


I was able to end a truly fantastic day with the people I love the most, and I will cherish that hour or so for a very long time to come.

Thank you to everyone who made a trip to help me celebrate!
I am officially a college graduate!

:)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

We are so proud of Melissa. For so many things from your convocation speech to graduation and your new job! Go girl!