Tuesday, March 3, 2015

My Month in Europe: Paris Day Two

I was super excited for this day!
Katy, Keilee, and I all got a fairly early start in order to make it to The Louvre first.

The Louvre was absolutely magnificent as far as the sheer size of it and how beautiful it is!
We spent probably two hours in there and only saw about a sixth of the whole place.









Overall, I was less than enthused about The Louvre.
It was amazing to see some incredibly famous sculptures and paintings, but it was just too packed with people.


I mean, look at all of those people! 
It definitely made it a hard experience to enjoy.

I was even more excited to head off to the Musee d'Orsay and it far exceeded my expectations!


You aren't allowed to take photos inside, so you'll have to do with reading the following anecdote about my amazing experience :)

I started with all of the Van Gogh, and it was brilliant.
When I saw Starry Night it literally took my breath away. I stood and looked at it from all angles for a good fifteen minutes. I can't really explain it, but the brush strokes are so thick and intentional, it almost looks 3D. It just can't be understood unless you see it in person. Prints or pictures will never do it justice! I never really understood why Starry Night was regarded as a great masterpiece until I saw it in person, and it was definitely life changing to see!
I would easily go back and spend a good half of a day at the Musee d'Orsay!

From there I walked around and saw Monet, Manet, Cezanne, Pissarro, Sisley, and Renoir!

Besides all of the Van Gogh, this one, Bal du Moulin de la Galette, by Renoir, was my favorite.

I have to take a second here and thank my high school Humanities teacher for doing such a great job introducing me to art and sparking my interest in it!
I was surprised at how much came back to me as I walked around!

I also have to thank Katy and Keilee for putting up with my spending an incessant amount of time there, when I know they definitely would have rather been somewhere else :)

From there we went window shopping at the Avenue de Champs Elysses!
For the first (and only unintentional) time of the trip, we definitely got lost and it took quite some time to get there, but it was worth it!

I got to go to Laduree and buy a box of macaroons all for myself :)
That was like a dream! 
All of those pastries and macaroons in there made me swoon!




We walked the Champs Elysses, which was heaven at every turn, from Louboutin, Tiffany's, Mercedes Benz, and so so so much more.


That pear shaped yellow diamond is my dream ring!
SO stunning!

While walking around we found a place to eat some lunch, and I had the most brilliant and life-changing Creme Brûlée of my entire existence.


At the risk of sounding like a psychopath, I literally got teary eyed with that first bite.
I fully expect I will never have Creme Brûlée that delectable ever again.

At the end of the Champs is the Arc de Triomphe!



Shortly after the above photo was taken Katy was stung by a bee, and I'm pretty sure I laughed for a good five minutes :)

After that the three of us argued about how in the world to actually get to the Arc de Triomphe.
Once we found the secret passageway I sat and ate my first Laduree Macroon while watching the sunset over the city.


It was fantastic!

We wanted to find some Crepes for dinner before heading back to the hotel, and while we were walking around we stumbled on this concept car, a Peugeot Onyx.


Super cool!

But even better was the Mercedes Benz museum which put me in car heaven!

1957 300 SL Roadster

1959 300 SL Roadster!
We finally found crepes, and they were the best crepes ever with fresh fruit and cream!
It's safe to say this day was a very amazing day for food and for art!


I ended the evening back at the hotel with a couple more macaroons.

I was happy :)

At this point I had decided that France wins when it comes to food and museums, but as a city in general it just didn't really impress.
Maybe I was still on a high from that amazing day in London!

Regardless, the next day was our day for the Place of Versailles and the Eiffel Tower, and I was oh so excited!

No comments: