Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Month in Europe: English Countryside

After our walking tour of Preston (see previous post here) we headed out to the English countryside where we saw some quaint little towns. 

I had the hardest struggle wanting to sleep but so completely loving the views of the countryside.
It was just absolutely beautiful.

We started off in Ribchester where my dreams came true with the cutest little houses complete with flower baskets outside of every window. 
So perfect!

Ribchester was very small and it almost felt like taking a step back in time a few decades, complete with farms as far as the eye could see :)


We then ventured on through Green Hurst, where we drove past Stonyhurst college.
Guys, go google Stonyhurst college right now.
I literally thought we had stumbled upon one of the Queen of England's summer homes or something.
We even saw some rather good looking rugby players ;)
Imagine attending a University like that!

Next up was Downham, a village in the town of Lancashire.
Within minutes I decided I could easily retire there!








Just to the right of this little river is the famous tree that Elder Holland calls "his tree." 
I have searched endlessly to find the talk where he mentions it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
If anyone knows what I'm referring to, I would love for you to send me a link!

I loved the quaint feel of Downham.
Every person or couple that walked by had a dog walking with them off of a leash, everyone said hello, the stores only took cash, and it was so incredibly quiet and calm.

I am so happy we were able to see some of the English countryside, and I know if I had gone to Europe on my own I never would have seen these places.
Thankfully we did, because those small towns quickly became my favorite.

After getting back on the bus to head back to the hotel, we were all out within seconds.
A war had started with people taking selfies with sleeping people, and this was the first one where I got caught :)


This may have been the winner of the whole trip, lucky Katy :)

No comments: